Easy homemade stir fry with a hassle-free rich sauce. Leftover cooked rice can replace the rice noodles
Serves 4-5, contains beef, 20 minutes work time, 60 minutes total time
For the stir fry:
4 oz wide (Pad Thai) rice noodles
1-pound beef sirloin cut into 2-inch strips
1 small broccoli
About 8 oz mushrooms (like Cremini), Thinly sliced
3-4 tablespoon oil
For the sauce:
3-4 tablespoon light soy sauce
2-3 tablespoon NuNature Date Syrup
1-2 tablespoon vinegar (like apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar)
1-2 scallions, thinly sliced
- For the noodles: place the rice noodles in a wide bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 40 minutes until they become pliable.
- Cut the broccoli into bite size florets. Place in a large, microwave safe bowl. Add about 1 inch of water, cover with a plate and microwave for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Peel and thinly slice the broccoli stem.
- For the stir fry: heat a shallow, wide pot (or a large wok) over high heat until piping hot (2-3 minutes before you begin adding ingredients). Add the half of the oil, then add the beef strips. Sear for 1 minute, to brown the beef well, then stir fry for 30 seconds until almost cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the sliced broccoli stem and chopped mushrooms. Fry, stirring constantly for 2 minutes until the onion is slightly tender.
- Add all steamed florets and stir fry for 1 more minute. Add all the sauce ingredients (Date Syrup + soy sauce + vinegar), bring to a boil and stir well.
- Strain and add the rice noodles to the pot and stir well. Add the cooked beef strips back in and cook 1 more minute, stirring constantly to allow the noodles to warm up. Taste and add more soy sauce / Date Syrup if needed. If the noodles are not soft enough by now, add some water and stir to loosen.
- Divide to portions, garnish each dish with chopped scallions. Serve at once (with your favorite hot sauce on the side).
Tip: For a vegan version, replace the sirloin strips with the same amount of firm tofu, diced to 3/4-inch cubes.